Pages

Saturday 4 March 2017


Learning Combustion...



I left our session on Tuesday feeling inspired and energized. As stated during our KBC, it is important for us to continue to nurture this 'amazing' momentum as it is easy to default to what is comfortable and predictable when supporting multiple learners and initiatives. 

Context
 I teach prep coverage for Grade 3 Science and Social Studies and have engaged in numerous discussions of how I frequently leave feeling that my 'educator' tool bag is empty of effective strategies. Yes, (surprise) I have shed some (okay many) tears of frustration as I know that we are not engaging in the learning that is impactful or inspiring. I see their faces of boredom, lack of engagement and this leaves me feeling defeated, overwhelmed and frustrated at the same time. I left my last class with them knowing something has to change and began thinking of taking them out to the forest to  learn about Indigenous communities (they came up with this and more on their own...keep reading). 

Implementation Goal 
Don't work harder than your students! This resonated with me as I feel consumed by trying to make this 'better'. I have to fix this and everything I try does not seem to work or last. 
My goals are: 

- to promote/enhance student voice;
-  to take our learning outside 

The Experience 
The Grade 3s met together and sat in a KBC. After sharing the KBC protocols,  I explained how our time together is not the type of learning that leaves me feeling happy and I am sensing that it doesn't make them feel happy either. I shared that I don't see all of their 'gifts' skills being used and I need their input.

Questions: 
1. How might we change our learning environment to help us learn? 
Some responses 
- we can have more fun, going back to the forest 
- maybe we can have talk circles before we do our work 
- we can play games 
- things to do, plays
- something to make it better, help each other to get work done and then play together 
- get work done faster then play 
- listen and not be silly 
- do partner work
- chew gum 
- do more experiments 
- maybe have stress circles to get our feelings out
- help each other when having a hard time
- not be rude to anybody
- TM- teamwork 
- move our bodies more 
- fidget tools 
- drawing our learning 
- videos to see 
- choose our own way to show learning like videos (reference to prior work with natural disasters) 

They followed all protocol as they were active listeners and waited to be called on. They were respectful and attentive. It felt phenomenal! I was busy writing with my head up and down and the circle ran on its own. 

I synthesized what I heard and shared with the group with nodding of agreement. 
- we want to do more when learning 
- we want to have talk time
- we want to have voice in what we do and how 
- we want tools that may help us control our bodies 

They shook their heads in agreement. 

Conversation - not a KBC. 
2. We are just starting to learn about different Indigenous communities to help us understand our history. How might we learn about their culture? 
- we can Skype experts or other communities 
- we can research using iPads or computers 
- we can read and do a play about it
- we can look up knowledge and traditions 
- we can search dances and traditions 
- we can make models
- we can go to the forest 
- we can go and make a community like theirs 
(AND THIS WAS THE BIRTH PLACE OF LEARNING COMBUSTION)

You could feel the excitement in the room. Alhtough it was not a KBC, they continued to be active listeners and take turns. Students began to whisper many new ideas of how to create a community. Kids were planning on making fishing tools and string games and were engaged in dialogue using the knowledge that we already know about the different communities. Each student wrote their name on a sticky and placed it on a community to research and prepare. They were asking questions to each other and of me. They were making PLANS. They were excited and engaged. At this moment, I felt overcome with pride of their enthusiasm and engagement and looked at them in wonder. It felt that it was a beginning. We ended this part of the discussion with direction of how we need to plan and do some research the next day to help us plan and understand their life. 

3. Gratitude circle. We went around and could share something we were happy about, thankful or grateful for or pass. I began by sharing how grateful I am for them taking risks and sharing their ideas and feelings. 
Here are their responses verbatim! 

- thankful that you wrote our ideas down 
- we got to pick our own groups 
- we worked together 
- so cool we REALLY get to go to the forest 
- happy no fights. Very, very excited. Can't wait to make our own place 
- grateful and happy that I thought of a plan for the forest thing 
- thankful you letting me carve a stick 
- thankful to bring in stuff from home 
- all of us saying what we want and making our social studies more fun 
- thankful no-one got in a big fight and we are focused 

IT. WAS. AMAZING. 

Wonderings
I left feeling so rejuvenated and hopeful. The next day we co-created a concept map of elements we need to consider (location, food, transportation, gender roles, housing) and then each group decided how to document their own discussion. For almost 100 minutes they planned, read  and talked. We regrouped and listened to each other. Identified similarities and differences between Indigenous communities. They asked questions of how they knew what they could eat? How did they know where to meet for trading? How did they build boats then? Can they build a boat and can we try them? It was explosive! 




We decided we need to contact an Elder to come and teach us more about their history and the relationships with our environment. This supports the social studies thinking concepts of cause and consequence, continuity and change, perspective, significance  and interrelationships. 
I see an area of need as being able to document this journey and maintain this learning engagement. We are off to a great start. I am full of excitement to see them next week and not feeling dread and defeat. I just have to keep this momentum going. 





3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this experience Crystal. You have tapped the well of enthusiastic learning. Now how to keep the enthusiasm flowing?

    -note there are a number of great directions that you might pursue from the KBC

    -an early and easy one to tap is to use skype to contact someone to answer student questions
    -what I have done in the past is say to the kids we can't really ask more than 5 questions because that would be rude -what are the best 5 questions we should ask? -this gets them thinking about what a good question is and to make sure that they can't be answered with just a yes or no
    -great to have a call lined up in advance but I have often cold called people with the kids and modeled polite phone behavior as well as the role of moderator
    -have the questions asked by different kids (and they need a back up question anticipating where it might go)
    -now note this topic is about indigenous people in historic times and not now so that might lead to an interesting learning opportunity/discussion in itself.
    -

    ReplyDelete
  2. came across this today

    Indigenous Education newsletter

    http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4189af7a53713b8b0a4009303&id=cafd07f890

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so pumped when you shared this story with me Crystal. I actually felt tears welling knowing how much the kids AND you enjoyed this process/shift. Learning should be JOYFUL. I love love how you ended with a gratitude the first day and how you moved into concept maps the following day. Lucky kiddos!

    Thoughts:
    Consider reaching out to Pam Agawa (FNMI) about connecting to local elders (Shannon would be wonderful from Georgina Island - she facilitated an incredible PD 'truth and reconciliation' circle for our board')

    I also contacted someone recently via Twitter (Towana Brooks) to see if she could come in to investigate beading with our FDKs - maybe we could coordinate and have her involved in both classes?

    Kids mentioned wanting to play more games - OPHE actually has a new FNMI DPA resource guide which I have taken a look at and there are some fantastic ideas you could bring outside to the forest.

    Can't wait to hear where this goes...

    ReplyDelete